Staying Protected & Avoiding Face Mask Skin Irritation
Let’s face it, wearing face masks is not going to go away anytime soon. While this has become a new norm, the constant use of daily face protection is wreaking havoc on our skin.
Caring for your skin during the time of COVID is a hot topic around the practice. Many of us are experiencing irritation, acne breakouts and rosacea caused by constant wear, build-up of oil, sweat, dirt, and makeup under our masks. N95 masks, in particular, have turned up major skin concerns due to their tight compression, which leads to serious bruising and irritation.
Here are tips to keep your skin healthy, clean and protected when wearing your face mask:
- Begin your day by cleansing and moisturizing your skin with gentle and hydrating products.
- If you can, skip applying your makeup as this leads to build-up under your mask and can lead to irritation and acne breakouts. If you are looking to still spruce up your makeup, stick to a cool eye shadow.
- If wearing a more structured mask, such as an N95, apply a thin layer of balm to the nose, behind and top of ears and any area that the mask may rub.
- Continue to apply a gentle moisturizer to your face throughout the day as this creates a barrier between the dryness of your skin and the friction of your mask.
- As soon as you are able to, remove the mask and be sure to cleanse your face right away with warm water to get rid of any leftover residue that could lead to irritation. Be sure to use a gentle cleanser, a pH balanced toner, a hydrating sheet mask and moisturizer.
- Make a treatment plan with your aesthetician to promote BEST skin health. Consider the Glow Facial among many individualized treatment choices.*
- Stay in touch with your dermatologist. If the irritation continues to get worse, we’re here to recommend the best products and course of action to take to ensure that your skin stays happy and healthy.
*Call to schedule a Glow Facial with one of our aestheticians today!